This tour is not available in Deutsch
The tour starting point. You meet Glenn outside the Engelen pub. The pub opened in 1969 and was named after the Engelen (angel) pharmacy that was located here from the 1600’s until the 1960’s.
The most narrow alley in Stockholm measures 90 cm and is believed to have been constructed in medieval times. It’s named after merchant Mårten Trotzig.
This is where the Stockholm bloodbath took place in 1520. Around 100 people from the Swedish aristocracy were executed for heresy, based on an accusation by archbishop Gustav Trolle.
Runestone U53 has been dated to the year 1070-1100. Leaned against it is an old cannon tube. Translated, the runes say: Torsten and Frögunn had (erected) this stone for… their son.
This tucked-away square is named after former prime minister Hjalmar Branting. Ivar Johnsson’s sculpture “Morning” from 1962 can be found in the middle of the square.
This public toilet is called Tage Erlander’s toilet by locals, since it has been placed right next to a sign honoring former prime minister Tage Erlander.
King Gustav III built the first opera in this location in 1782. He was then shot inside the building in 1792. The opera was torn down in 1892 and rebuilt into the opera house you see today.
The police had a violent clash with protestors underneath these elm trees in 1971. The protestors wanted to stop the elm trees from being cut down to make way for a new subway entrance.
This statue depicts when Gustav III stepped ashore in this spot after the end of the Swedish-Russian war in 1790. The statue has an olive branch, for peace, in its hand.
This is a government-owned historic museum, with a large collection of clothes, weapons and armor from the various royal dynasties throughout Swedish history.
The royal police chamber started under the reign of King Gustav III and was moved into the Tessinska palace in the 1770s. This is where the murder of Gustav III was investigated in 1792.
Final stop of the tour. The statue Järnpojke (Iron boy) is also called “Boy looking at the moon”. It is Sweden’s smallest public statue, measuring 15 centimeters. It was sculpted by Liss Eriksson in 1967.