This tour is not available in Deutsch
This area is called Mariaberget, and it has been populated since the 1300’s. This park used to be an empty lot where deceased malaria victims were left awaiting their funeral. This is where Malin Matsdotter
The Maria Magdalena church was built from 1588 and finished in 1625. The church was restored to its present look after the Maria fire in 1759, when the church and 300 buildings burned.
The Stockholm City Museum is located in the building which was once the southern city hall. It was built in 1663, and housed courtrooms and the district jail. This is where Malin Matsdotter and the other women faced the court.
One of the accused women, hatmaker Anna Månsdotter, lived in the Mosebacke area. The area got its name from the Mosis windmill, which was located here during the 1600’s.
Lisbet Carlsdotter, the young girl who testified at several witch trials, lived at Pelarbacken at Högbergsgatan, only a stone's throw away from where Anna Månsdotter lived.
The Katarina parish was at the epicenter of the witch trials at Södermalm during 1675-76. Most of the accused, accusers and witnesses belonged to the Katarina congregation.
Cavalry Captain Gråå lived on this street corner. His home was also a watch house, where worried parents gathered to watch over their sleeping children to keep them safe from witches.
Johan Johansson Grijs was sent from Gävle to stay with a relative here at Åsögatan, after he accused his mother of witchcraft. He testified at several witch trials during the Great Noise.
Stigberget was used as Södermalm’s execution site during the 1500-1600’s. The gallow was drawn in as a navigational mark on several nautical charts from that time.
The first documented name for this mountain is Galgebærgith (Gallows mountain). People could see the execution site from far away, which was meant to have a deterrent effect.